Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sherlock and LEGO Fun Night

Greetings, Beantown!

Tonight is the North American premiere of Sherlock. And, now that I look out the window, it is snowing. Now I really have no interest in going out.

If you are looking for something fun to do while staying in, might I suggest an England-themed evening with Sherlock and some Harry Potter LEGOs?

Yes, I said LEGOs.


LEGO has introduced board games to its burgeoning lineup of retail products, and they're pretty cool. What’s so great about them? First, you have to build them. (Okay, duh, but it wouldn’t be fun with LEGOs if you didn’t get to build, now would it?) Second, the games are actually good. These aren’t like those games that you got for your birthday as a kid and then never played after opening the box.

In fact, just a few weeks ago, my fiancée and I had some friends over along with my soon-to-be sister- and brother-in-law. We had fun drinks, built the board, and began playing the game. Designed to simulate the ever-changing Hogwarts Stairways, it features sliding rooms that can be strategically moved towards your character or away from your opponents’ pieces. There was much strategery. The set was a gift from last year, and the twelve months it took us to play were time we didn’t know we were wasting.

Okay, time to come clean – I’ve been trying to hide that we played this game on New Year’s Eve. I know, I know. Most people our age would have gone out… I don’t know… clubbing somewhere with an absurdly high cover charge. Or, you know, have celebrated Boston’s First Night -- or at least have gone to a bar. But we didn’t. We stayed in and played a board game, and it was great, so no apologies. Besides, it's pretty clear from the ads for The LEGO Movie that the building toys are for grown-ups with fond memories and working responsibilities. (Thanks for validating me, LEGO!)


So, my point is, if it was good enough for New Year’s Eve, then it’s good enough to celebrate the start of a new season of Sherlock and avoid cold temperatures.

And… my fiancée wouldn’t want me to post about throwing a get-together without mentioning a signature cocktail. So if Sherlock is your favorite character, then a G&T seems fitting; for Watson, an English ale; and if Moriarty is your pick, grab an Irish stout.

Oh, and just to bring us full circle on our two themes, enjoy some Sherlock LEGOs. If you're feeling really motivated, you could even build some Sherlock-themed LEGO characters for that old Clue board you haven't used in a while.

Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment