Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Overtime, 107-102




For all of the love that I have expressed for the Red Sox, I have neglected the other Boston sports teams. Much to my deficit.

On Friday night I saw my first Celtics game at the Garden. It was a nail-biter to the end. The Celtics played the Atlanta Hawks. Gaining – and then losing – a 10 point lead, the Celtics soon found themselves in a shootout that didn't end until overtime. By the end, everyone in the Garden was on their feet, yelling at the tops of their lungs, and when the buzzer finally announced a win for the C’s, I found myself lifted into the air by my neighbor.

Maybe that’s not how all of the games go, but it was a great time. If you haven’t been yet, grab some tickets before the season ends. Even separate from the game, the Garden puts on a heck of a show.

As for the Garden itself, it is one impressive building. Not only does it house a stadium that seats thousands, it sits atop North Station (oh yeah, it accommodates trains, too). As home to both the Celtics and the Boston Bruins, its exterior façade glows team colors on game day. If the building is gold, the Bruins are up; green and it’s the Celtics.

The stadium seating is tall, not so wide – as in, construction went up because there wasn't any room left to go out. But, hey, it’s not like there’s much spare room around that end of the Bean, anyway. Climbing to the top rows feels a lot like it must have for Romans climbing the Coliseum back in its heyday. Which, I can’t lie, piques my interest for Wrestlemania, coming to the Garden this summer.

Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment