Friday, February 22, 2013

Of Beer and Blizzards


I think the Bean deserves some compliments. Nemo was certainly a less-than-pleasant experience, but the city (pedestrians, especially) seemed to come alive with courtesy. Strangers patiently waited for each other to cross streets and sidewalks before barreling themselves through. And I saw more than one group come together to push a stuck car or shovel out a neighbor. So, kudos.

Now, of course, the snow “looks kinda scrummy.”1

So just what do you do while a blizzard reigns?

Seems like as good a time as any to try a new recipe. For months now, I have been excited to make an earnest attempt at pulling Guy Fiere’s Guinness Milkshake out of the digital pixels of foodnetwork.com and putting it into my blender.

Lucky for me, the power didn't go out.  

The shake was Guinnessy-good, and it did not disappoint. One quick recommendation: like any good  recipe, this one works in ounces and cups. It is a bit easier to think of as a cocktail recipe, though; two parts chocolate ice cream, one part stout worked out well for me. (As long as I’ve done my math right – of which, there is only a 60% chance.) Maybe just stick to the recipe as written by Guy Fiere himself.

And on the topic of beer…

I finally put the finishing touches on the new bar tray. The tray itself comes courtesy of West Elm.



The beer labels, however, come courtesy of Beantown.

Many different labels sampled from numerous local establishments such as Thaitation (where it all began with an idea and a bottle of Singha), Cafeteria, Parish CafĂ©, Pico, and Happy’s (a sad goodbye). The make-your-own six pack at Trader Joe’s also contributed quite significantly.

I should also add that this project has been ongoing since October of 2012. Which is all to say that for a year and a half I have been peeling and saving beer labels at every restaurant in which I ordered, and, naturally, looking quite odd.

Til next time!

Resolution Check:
+More Beantown
+More art

1. Steinbeck, John. Of Mice and Men. New York: Penguin, 1993. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment