Thursday, May 29, 2014

Flapjacks and Formula 1


One of the ways that I gauge my evolution from caveman to man is by looking at the time at which I wake up in the morning. I have steadily progressed from a sunny oh-let’s-say-ahem-eleven-ahem to a before-dawn-to-dawn quarter of six. Weekends are a different story, though. Weekends are for sleeping in.

Except this weekend.

This Sunday I dragged myself out of bed at 7:00 am. Why would I do something so barbaric, you ask? Because it was the Monaco Grand Prix! After missing it for the past few years, I was determined to catch the race.



A race-watch, though, must be treated as a full-on sporting event. This is the Monaco Gran Prix! It’s the homeopener of the Formula 1 world.  It deserved to be treated the way we do our favorite events – with snacks!

Snacks that early are tough to pull off, so instead I opted for a hearty breakfast: pancakes, scrambled eggs, and yogurt – oh my! Lucky for me, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.

It felt fitting that the very same event that Europe’s most-bourgeois of the bourgeoisie celebrate with the finest vintages of wine and luxury yachts (do you think they get yacht envy?) was accessible to me in Boston over a course of scrambled eggs and Aunt-Jemima-laden pancakes. Perhaps the zillionaires were enjoying mimosas and something edibly expensive for breakfast. I don’t know why, but I picture people that rich looking like 18th Century aristocrats (wigs and all) – just sunbathing on modern yachts. It makes no sense, but that’s my imagination for you.

If you would like to follow along with the next Formula 1 race, you can easily do so. The next race is even within a timezone native to the Western Hemisphere! Canada will be hosting its Grand Prix on June 8. You can check the schedule here.


Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment